The Museum of the Podhorácko Region
The Podhorácké Museum is a memory institution for the region of the city of Tišnov and the surroundig villages situated to the north of the city of Brno, as well as for the neighbouring parts of the Podhorácko region. It was founded in the town hall of the city of Tišnov on 26th June 1929. Its foundation was initiated by the local authority and supported by the district authorities at that time. Since 1955 the seat of the museum is in the neighbouring village called Předklášteří where it is located in the baroque building of the former provostry of Cistercian konvent Porta Coeli. In 1967 it lost its autonomy and now it is a branch of the Museum of Brno Region. Its interesting and rich collections were dammaged at the time of the nazi occupation and it had to be reestablished after World War II. Today thePodhorácké Museum is a medium size regional museum and its collections comprise more that 30 000 objects of archeological, historical, etnografic, art historical and natural science character. The most ancient finds date back from Paleolithic period. Then there are finds from 13th century, regarding the historical period. The major part of the collection objects go back to the period of the half of 19th century to the eighties of 20th century. Visitors can see four permanent expositions (Paleontology and Mineralogy, Minerals of theTišnov region, History of Porta Coeli konvent and Bourgeois people interior from the turn of 19th and 20th centuries). There are two exhibition spaces (a small gallery on the ground floor and three exhibition halls on the first floor), both for short term exhibitions of various subject matters.
The museum also provides guided tours of the original convent church, today´s parish church. It is possible to view a virtual tour of the early gothic core of the convent in the space of the permanent exposition dedicated to the history of Porta Coeli. The tickets can be bought at the museum box office. Moreover, there is an special offer of souvenirs.